Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cauldron Linn!

We decided to go visit a local attraction for Memorial Day this year.  It is know as Cauldron Linn.  It is off the beaten track.  We tried to go visit it a few years back and could not find it.  This year Kyle and I did a little research before heading out and had a pretty good idea of where we were going.  Mapquest had Cauldron Linn listed, but had it on the wrong side of the river.  However, it got us close enough that I could find an unamed road on the correct side of the river that did actually lead down to the falls.  Cauldron Linn is difficult to get to and probably required four wheel drive to get all the way down.  It was rainy in the morning so the area was a muddy and the falls had quite a lot of mist.  My family went a few years back and the water was probably 5-10 feet below the rocks.  This year it was only about a foot below the rocks at the top of the falls.  It was an amazing site.  Kyle and my father decided to take a muddy path that was closer to the edge, while my sister Jennifer and I took a higher path that was a little less muddy.  I had Wesley with me and Kyle had Jonathen.  About the area the two paths converged I heard Kyle call for help and looked over in time to see him slip and fall.  He started to slide and put Jonathen down on the ground.  I had to place Wesley in a safe spot and tell him not to move.  I then moved over to get Jonathen and make sure Kyle was not going to slide any farther.  My father and I both saw Kyle go down and it scared us beyond belief.  He was able to stop his slide and get back up, but there was a second where I was scared to death.  Jonathen was not fazed by this incident at all.  He kept pointing at the falls and saying water.  He really liked it even though it was cold and rainy.  Wesley on the other hand was cold and nervous.  He kept asking his dad and poppa to get farther away from the edge then they were.  After Kyle fell and got all muddy he walked Wesley back to the car while the rest of us took a few more pictures and then decided to join him when we realized it was starting to rain in earnest.  By the time we got back to our vehicle we were wet and cold and called it a day.  The falls were beautiful. 





Afterward we took the boys home and put them down for a nap.  When they woke up we went over to my parents and had dinner with them and my sister Elisa and her son Shayne.  Overall it was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. That is beautiful. I may have to get directions to maybe take my boys there one day. I am glad Kyle and Jonathan are ok.

    ReplyDelete